It's getting to be that time of year where the streets will soon be filled with Zombies, Monsters, Pirates, Princesses and all kinds of outrageous costumes. Halloween is our favorite time of year at Time Honored Designs! This year is extra special because we will have 2 weekends to help people have awesome award winning costume makeup! Many of our private sessions have won cash prizes for their costumes when they get face or body painted by Time Honored Designs.
Here are a few tips we have learned over the years to help you choose an award winning costume:
1. Don't be afraid to be unique - homemade costumes can be the best: Use creative and recycled materials to make your costume. Check out the thrift stores for material already on clothing, costume jewelry and all kinds of goodies.
2. Check how costumes will be judged prior to the date. If you are attending a competition such as at a bar and they judge you from the noise level of the crowd, then it really does not matter how wonderful your costume is, you must bring an entourage with you to cheer you on. This type of contest really is about how many friends you brought not the quality of your costume.
3. For adult costumes, it never hurts to show some skin and make it a bit sexy. Having some professional body painting can really help accent your physical attributes: such as accenting abs and muscle tone, creating attention to the breast area (always a favorite for the nightclub scene).
4. Masks, make sure you have a mask that you can easily take on and off. It is a good idea to have a professional face painting or makeup job done underneath your mask. Many stores and establishments will not let you in if you are wearing a mask. Most bars will not serve you or let you through the bar. In the photo shown, this contestant took one of our hand make masks on a dowel so she could use it as part of her costume but was not dependent on it to make her costume work.
5. Using prosthetics: Don't get the cheap stuff! Cheap bald caps, ears, teeth and other appliances, need to be comfortable and well made. Many of the cheap appliances, won't stick on, are too thick to look natural and are uncomfortable to wear. Keep in mind your skin color vs. the color of the appliance: if you are very dark skinned and you choose a light skinned appliance, don't expect a natural skin tone look. Consider in this case to do your makeup in a more fantasy color to get a better match. Also: Make sure you do not have a reaction to latex or spirit gum PRIOR to your makeup application. A professional face and body artist will be able to help you get the best appliances and look our of your appliances.
6. Make sure you book EARLY!! Many professional face artists and makeup artists book out very early for Halloween and Halloween weekend. If you wait until the week of your party, you more than likely will not be able to get in.
7. Check out your makeup artist or face artist thoroughly. You want to know their experience, see photos of work they have done and talk to them about your ideas.
8. Make sure that makeup being used for your face and body are good quality and are made to last. There are many wonderful makeups that will last the night for you. Cheap makeup kits will not give you the desired look or longevity you will need to survive a night of drinking and dancing. There are water resistant makeups that can be used and sealers that can be applied to a finished paint job to make your makeup last.
9. Be clear on the look you want, you can even sketch it out or provide photos of your desired look to present to your artist. This will help make sure that both you and your artist are on the same page.
10. Most importantly!! HAVE FUN and take lots of photos!!!!!!!
Written by: Naomi Smith, owner and lead artist: www.timehonoredart.com