PortlandNeighborhood.com

Welcome to YOUR Portland Neighborhood Community

Information

Portland Walking

If you saunter, clomp, meander, shuffle, plod, jaunt, tramp, wander, stroll or just walk, this is a group for you! What is your favorite neighborhood walk? Where do you go for extended walks? Are you a fair-weather walker or an all-season walker?

Members: 18
Latest Activity: Dec 19, 2015

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Portland Walking to add comments!

Comment by Mark McClure on July 17, 2011 at 2:06pm

Over the past two weeks, I was able to participate in the Ten Toe Express and Lloyd TMA Walk Week events I mentioned on July 7. What a wonderful way to see our great city! 

Here is a snapshot from the Historic Homes walk last Friday. This was the last walk in the Lloyd TMA Walk Week series. Much of our route paralleled the Irvington Classic Homes & Heritage Trees Ten Toe Express Walk that Sheryl and I did in May.

Comment by Mark McClure on July 7, 2011 at 4:33pm

Two quick announcements.

1. This evening at 6 pm, please join us for the Beaumont-Wilshire Ten Toe Express Walk.
  2. And next week, please join us for the Lloyd TMA Walk Week.

You can find details for both events by following the links.

Comment by Mark McClure on June 25, 2011 at 10:26am

Back from a nice vacation visiting family and friends in Alaska. My #2 son and I were able to get in a short hike in Kincaid Park in Anchorage. We were also able to enjoy the warm weather in Healy and Fairbanks. How weird is that?

Hope to see everyone at the Sunday Parkways event tomorrow in North Portland. If you can make it, please stop by the Info Booth at Peninsula Park. Sheryl and I will be there from 10:30 am - 1:30 pm. 

Comment by Mark McClure on May 26, 2011 at 7:33am
Comment by Mark McClure on May 15, 2011 at 10:19am

Here is a snapshot from the Irvington Classic Homes & Heritage Trees Ten Toe Express Walk yesterday. I did not see the final registration count, but Sheryl estimated that there were approximately 50 people. (Not everyone is visible in this shot.) Great walk and great weather! 

Comment by Mark McClure on May 12, 2011 at 6:59pm

Last week, the City of Portland kicked off a new season of Ten Toes Express Walks. If you are open this coming Saturday from 9 - 11 am, please join me for the Irvington Classic Homes & Heritage Trees Ten Toe Express Walk. If you are not able to make the walk this weekend, please check the calendar to see if there is another date/location that might be convenient for you.

Comment by PDX Nature Nut on March 16, 2011 at 7:06pm
I must admit I'm more of a fair-weather walker.  I mostly enjoy nature walks at places like Mount Talbert.
Comment by Mark McClure on February 16, 2011 at 6:28pm

Here are some quick facts on walkers from Portland's Walkabout magazine:

• Walkers outnumber runners by more that 3:1

• There are approximately 500,000 fitness walkers in the Portland area

• Walking is ranked as the #1 fitness activity in America and growing fast

• Walking is one of the most accessible ways to get in shape and a stepping stone to other fitness activities

You can find copies of Walkabout magazine at various locations in Portland, or you can purchase a subscription and have it delivered (by a person that walks a lot). 

I was able to attend Laura Foster's "Taking the Stairs" presentation on Jan. 23. Very interesting! If you have the chance to attend one of Laura's presentations, I highly recommend it. I also purchased a copy of her The Portland Stairs Book, which I have enjoyed reading.

The Willamette Pedestrian Coalition "Golden Sole Gala Fundraiser" it tomorrow (Thursday, 17 February) from 6-8pm. I plan to attend and encourage you to do so as well. Here are more details:

The Crossroads: What is Happening with Walking Advocacy in 2011?

Come meet others who care about walkable communities, learn what the WPC has in store for 2011 and how you can be involved, and get to know the Getting Around on Foot Action Plan. Then help us applaud this year's winners of the Golden Sole Award, which is given to a few select individuals who have advanced walking and walkability in our region.

Food, wine, beer, nonalcoholic beverages, and great door prizes which include:
  • Ellee's Yoga lessons
  • Lunch with a walking rockstar at No Fish! Go Fish!
  •  . . . and more!
Guests:
Rex Burkholder, Metro Councilor, Speaker
Golden Sole Winners (to be announced)
Where: 
Mercy Corps Building, Aceh Room
43 SW Naito Parkway (corner of SW Ankeny)
Portland, OR 97204
MAP
When: 
Thursday, February 17 2011
6 to 8 p.m

Cost: 
Free, but don't forget to bring your checkbook!
If you are not yet a member, this is a great chance to join and get to know the organization.
Can't come but want to donate to the WPC? Thank you! Click here to donate.

Transit: 
Skidmore Fountain MAX stop is across the street, and several bus lines travel on Burnside and the Transit Mall.
Comment by Mark McClure on January 22, 2011 at 11:54am

So what is up with that bright light in the sky? After walking in the rain for the past several weeks, I am definitely looking forward to a few dry days!

Thanks to Lorri for the walking events plug this morning. Here are two other events that I want to pass on...

If you have time tomorrow, I encourage you to attend Laura's talk below. I hope to make it. 

And on Feb. 17, the Willamette Pedestrian Coalition is planning a gala event. I will provide more details as I learn about them.

Taking the Stairs with Laura Foster

Portland's walking expert Laura Foster has recently released her latest book,The Portland Stairs Book. Join the author as she shares with you the best and most interesting staircases in Portland. Covering 207 staircases (and 10,155 steps), Foster's journey combines geology, architecture, history and horticulture to tell the amazing stories of 20 outdoor staircases. Her slide presentation includes examples of staircases as well as sights seen while exploring them. The stairs include the Willamette River Bridge Stairs, the Westover Terraces Steps and Rocky Butte's Grand Staircase.

Space at programs is limited. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Ref: Multnomah County Library - Writer Talking

Comment by Mark McClure on December 16, 2010 at 8:50am

Here are some Portland metro region non-profit organizations that have walking-related resources that you might find helpful. Each site includes many more resources than I have listed.

Willamette Pedestrian Coalition (pedestrian advocacy, projects and events, 2010 Getting Around on Foot Action Plan). I recently joined the WPC.

City of Portland, Bureau of Transportation (Portland walking maps, Pedestrian Advisory Committee, pedestrian safety, pedestrian design guidelines and plans, community walking classes and programs). I have been attending PAC meetings.

Portland Metro (Regional Trails and Greenways System, map, guide book, tours). I use the Walk There! guide book to help plan my weekend treks.

Explore PDX. Check out their route maps.

Portland walking clubs (Columbia River Volksport Club, East County Wind Walkers, Mazamas Street Rambles, Racewalkers Northwest, Southwest Trails Group, Wonders of Walking). Any one up for a street ramble?

Walk About magazine (free). Good walking articles.

Members (18)

Latest Activity

Portland Center Stage posted an event
Thumbnail

Portland Center Stage at the Armory presents "Astoria: Part One" at Portland Center Stage at the Armory

January 13, 2018 at 7:30pm to February 17, 2018 at 10:30pm
AstoriaBy Chris ColemanBased on the book ASTORIA: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Pacific Empire, A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival by Peter StarkU.S. Bank Main StageJanuary 13 – February 17, 2018 SEVEN PERFORMANCES ONLY!Adapted from the best-selling true story by Peter Stark; a harrowing dual journey — one over land, one by sea. Just two years after the Lewis and Clark expedition concluded, President Jefferson and John Jacob Astor turn their sights westward and begin one…See More
Dec 6
Elisabeth Allie posted an event
Thumbnail

Illimat Launch Party with Keith Baker and Carson Ellis at Guardian Games

November 15, 2017 from 6pm to 9pm
Illimat is the new classic card game created by Keith Baker and presented by the Decemberists! Celebrate the release of the game with members of the Decemberists, artist Carson Ellis, and designer Keith Baker. Learn to play, get your copy of Illimat signed by the creators, and grab some exclusive Illimat items! Learn to play: 6-9 pm. Creator signings: 7-9 pm.See More
Nov 12
Marti Mendenhall posted an event

Date Night - Marti Mendenhall at the Jack London Revue at The Jack London Revue

November 17, 2017 from 9pm to 11pm
Join Marti Mendenhall in this debut performance at the renowned Jack London Revue. Experience Marti's new «Date Night/Body Talks» series at the Jack London Revue with jazz standards and originals themed around love and dating and the ups-and-downs that come along the way. Recently featured in Oregon Music News' «Coffeehouse Conversations,» Marti adds four new originals to this passionate, entertaining show. “Marti is not only a talented singer and writer, but she understands the audience is…See More
Nov 6
Marti Mendenhall posted photos
Nov 6
Erinne Goodell posted an event
Thumbnail

2nd Annual Ecology Trivia Night at Lagunitas Community Room

December 5, 2017 from 6pm to 9pm
Our next round of Ecology Trivia is in just over a month, on December 5! Teams of 5 will face off for glory and prizes. There's a round of kids trivia, too. Buy your tix online & get a free drink:…See More
Nov 6
Willamette Women Democrats posted an event
Thumbnail

Oregon’s Economic Temperature, PERS, and the Budget at Lakewood Center Community Room

November 9, 2017 from 4pm to 6pm
    Mark McMullen, State Economist and Director of the Oregon Office of Economic Analysis, will discuss Oregon's economic challenges. His office provides objective forecasts of the state's economy, tax revenue and population to advance the goals of the Governor, Legislature, state agencies, and the public.  Oregon experienced faster economic growth than most other states coming out of the 2007 recession, but significant challenges lay ahead. The budget pressures on the state continue to grow as…See More
Oct 25
Elisabeth Allie posted events
Oct 22
da Vinci Arts Middle School updated an event
Thumbnail

13th Annual da Vinci Arts Fair at da Vinci Arts Middle School

December 2, 2017 from 10am to 4pm
This treasured community event is one of the more popular arts fairs in Portland, promoting and celebrating local and student artists and raising money for a beloved Portland school -- da Vinci Arts Middle School.Shop for holiday gifts from fine artists and makers of art, crafts, ceramics, clothing, sculptures, paintings, pottery, photos, soaps and more. Admission is free. There will also be live music, a cafe and student artwork for sale.See More
Oct 10

Badge

Loading…

Powell's Books Picks

© 2017   Created by Lorri E..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service