PortlandNeighborhood.com

Welcome to YOUR Portland Neighborhood Community

40 year old tattooed couple unexpectedly becoming parents looking for the inside scoop on Portlandia neighborhoods for a relocation to your town

My husband and I , who are NOT native Californians (Hahaha! The "Portland hates Californians" comes through loud and clear), have been considering a move to Portland for about ten years. And now it's back on! YAY!

We are unexpectedly becoming parents, and would like to leave our home of the past six years... which has been California. Sorry about that, Portland. But it is Long Beach and that's about as ghetto as it gets, so we're not from the richie rich sector responsible for driving up property values in your fair city.

I am so clueless about the Portland neighborhoods. I have read the books, checked the blogs, and know the names of the neighborhoods and what each neighborhood states about itself, but I don't have any friends in Portland to get a real report on the pros and cons of each area.  I was hoping that lots of Portlandians come to this forum and can help us out with their own biased views. 

I am looking for a neighborhood that has the demographic of tattooed people with children. Lol! Okay, there is no such demographic, but there are an awful lot of people like us, especially in Portland, so perhaps there is such a thing.  There seems to be a chasm between the... I don't know what to call them... the body modification crowd (?) and the 'breeders' on the Portland blogs and forums I've found. Surely there are a lot of families that are both?

I would like to find a friendly 'walkable' neighborhood, close by restaurants, groceries, bookstores, and all that good stuff. We are not amongst those fortunate few that can purchase a $500K house, so the tony neighborhoods that are most raved about are out of budget. From reading the blogs it would appear that we wouldn't be comfortable in Portland's more suburban neighborhoods. I've found that those people seem quite vocal about tattoos and piercings. I've read threads about their not wanting their children 'to think such disfiguration is okay or normal'.  And on the other hand the threads about hating the 'breeders and their strollers and crying kids'. Is there a neighborhood where families outside of the mainstream soccer-mom type seem to congregate?

I would appreciate anyone's opinions and feedback. It is so difficult to gather 'real' information beyond misleading statistics and official neighborhood PR.

Tags: art, baby, children, moving, relocating, tattoos

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(All these 'views' are my own as I come back and check to see if anyone has posted! Hahaha!)

Hi there-- I'd say anywhere in north or south Portland neighborhoods would be a fit for you. People simply do not blink an eye at tattoos and piercings here. It's actually more common to have tats, etc than it is to be virgin skinned and unadorned so no worries on that front.

http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/portland-neighborhoods.html

Well, I'm sorry I just now noticed your post was lurking here with no responses.  Ok, so I see you living in NE Portland or "NoPo".  Alberta Street, Mississippi Avenue, Sabin, Arbor Lodge or Piedmont, Boise/Eliot, Humboldt, Sumner, Vernon, Woodlawn areas.  Actually, tattoo'ed and pierced parents are nothing new to Portland so I wouldn't profile you on that alone, lol. And most of our neighborhoods have walkable areas with the restaurants and shops, etc.  But North Portland remains more affordable and far less suburban feeling that some of the tonier areas.  So based on your description I think you would love close in North Portland neighborhoods. 

Links to North and Northeast neighborhoods:

RSS

Latest Activity

Ross and Leah Seligman posted a discussion

Bungalow, Tudor, Cape Cod? Guide to Naming Homes in Portland

You know a Bungalow and a Tudor but what about newer homes in Portland?This is the first of more articles about naming homes in Portland from the OregonianVisit our website where you can contact us and search all Portland Metro Area real estate and homes for sale from the RMLS, including school and neighborhood reports…See More
7 hours ago
Evelyn Morabe commented on Evelyn Morabe's photo
Thumbnail

Sellwood evening

"Thanks, Earl. Honored."
yesterday
Earl R. Thomas posted photos
Sunday
The Craft Factory posted events
Friday

What to do this weekend in Portland Oregon

Portland Film Festival, rare Deschutes beer, Jade District night market, Art in the Pearl.... For Portland's last weekend of summer here are things to do this weekend before the September real estate market heats up.Visit our…See More
Friday
Willamette Women Democrats posted an event
Thumbnail

Season begins with Ballot Box Battles at Oswego Lake Country Club

September 10, 2014 from 4pm to 6pm
Our 2014-15 Season Begins WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 20144 pm to 6 pm"The Battle of the Ballot Box"Willamette Women Democrats will kick off our season with 3  dynamic speakers. Each will provide expertise and their unique perspective regarding three of the seven ballot measures voters will decide on November 4th:Newly appointed Director of Our Oregon and former State Rep., Ben Unger (left) will discuss the  “Top-Two Primary Initiative” which would create open primaries in Oregon;Lupita…See More
Thursday

Which Neighborhoods in Portland are the Fastest Selling?

Anyone who has been in the market to buy a home this year in Portland, Oregon has found competition.  But which neighborhoods were the most competitive?  Check out this list from the Portland Business Journal of neighborhoods ranked by average days on market.…See More
Thursday
Earl R. Thomas commented on Evelyn Morabe's photo
Thursday

Badge

Loading…

Powell's Books Picks

California

by Edan Lepucki

Sweetness #9

by Stephan Eirik Clark

The wind-up Bird Chronicle

by Haruki Murakami