PortlandNeighborhood.com

Welcome to YOUR Portland Neighborhood Community

Hello! :)

I came across this site today and had to join! I've been looking for a place where I could ask a few questions to some folks who already live there!

My wife and I are hoping to move up to Portland as soon as we can. I'm currently applying for jobs in the area and hoping to get something soon. Once I get an offer, I'll be up there in 2 weeks!

I wanted to ask about some of the neighborhoods...
Are there some that aren't worth researching? (crime, etc etc type stuff)
Which ones have the highest rent?
How is public transportation in Portland? If you live and work in the city, how feasible is it to not own a car or not really need to drive often?
Basically any information that you want to type would be greatly appreciated!

A little info about me....
Currently live in Fresno California, I like to call it Satan s*** hole. :P
I Work in the IT field, mainly systems and network administration. My wife is a bartender and student.
A friend of my wife moved up to Portland a year or so ago, and has been trying to get us to do the same. I'm tired of the summer heat, the bad air quality, and my allergies acting up all the time, so we're going to get the heck outta here.
We live in an area of Fresno called the Tower District. It's full of restaurant, bars, hippies, stoners, bicycles, and progressive people. It's definitly a community in its own. I'd love to find another type of place in Portland to live.

Thank you in advance for any information you can share, its very appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck, we'll think happy thoughts! :-)
Whatever happened with your job searching process? I kind of have lost track of keeping in touch with you?
Rene
Well nothing came from that last job situation.
My wife and I decided to put the move on hold till June of '09 so she can finish up her degree.

But then... the job search goes back in full effect!
I just recently moved to portland from Tucson, arizona. I live in the West MOreland-SEllwood area and love it. We're close to the Oaks Bottom refuge and river access. It feels like a small town but we're an easy bike/bus/car ride into down town/hawthorne-belmont neighborhood or other points of interests. We aren't on a max line which is probably the only bummer. I love the restaurants/shops that make this place feel like a small community within a big city. We rent, but from the looks of the houses for sale, they are quite spendy.

good luck!
Well I'm sorry to hear that. However, June is such a pretty time of the year. It will be a good time to come and get settled in.

Well it's almost been 4 years now since I first made this thread! 

Since then I've moved twice, and my wife and I have expanded our family.  Our son just turned 1yrs old this past December!  The dream of moving north is now stronger than before. 

Waiting it out till June when our house lease is up.  In May I'm going to start looking for jobs again and hopefully this time it happens quick! 

RSS

Latest Activity

Earl R. Thomas posted a photo
13 hours ago
Ross and Leah Seligman's discussion was featured

August 2014 Portland Oregon Real Estate Market Report: What's Happening?

August 2014 Portland Oregon Real Estate Market Report: What's Happening?The Portland, Oregon real estate market continues to be a hot seller's market.  There were 2309 homes for sale and 1048 pending to close in August.  In July, 939 homes sold.  This month there were more homes for sale to choose from for buyers as inventory rose and many families focuses on the final…See More
13 hours ago
Ross and Leah Seligman posted a discussion

August 2014 Portland Oregon Real Estate Market Report: What's Happening?

August 2014 Portland Oregon Real Estate Market Report: What's Happening?The Portland, Oregon real estate market continues to be a hot seller's market.  There were 2309 homes for sale and 1048 pending to close in August.  In July, 939 homes sold.  This month there were more homes for sale to choose from for buyers as inventory rose and many families focuses on the final…See More
13 hours ago
Kathleen Porter posted an event
Thumbnail

Posture Sundays with Kathleen Porter (An Alignment Workshop) at NE Portland - Grant Park / Hollywood Business District

September 14, 2014 from 1pm to 4pm
Posture Sundays * Fall 2014 with Kathleen Porter, author of “Natural Posture for Pain-Free Living: The Practice of Mindful Alignment”Overcome chronic stiffness and painImprove your posture at any ageLearn how to sit, stand, bend, walk, lift, carry–even sleep– with greater comfort and ease. Online registration is available athttp://www.naturalposturesolutions.com/classes-and-events-details/ Early…See More
yesterday
Gerry Villani posted a status
"Now making plans for Chongqin, China. Gonna teach English and do my photography, among other things. It should be fun!"
Thursday
Gerry Villani posted photos
Thursday
Misty Hamrick posted an event
Thumbnail

Driver Job Fair at Holiday Inn Portland-Airport

September 20, 2014 from 8am to 12pm
DON'T MISS OUR PORTLAND DRIVER JOB FAIR!Saturday, September 20th from 8AM-12PM at the Holiday Inn Portland-Airport *NEW DRIVERS, PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE DRIVERS, EXPERIENCED DRIVERS, AND OWNER OPERATORS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND!*The first 50 drivers will receive a free gift bag!There are a wide variety of carriers with multiple open positions to fill NOW! Get face to face interaction with recruiters!Carriers hiring owner operators & company drivers!EVENTS ARE ALWAYS 100% FREE TO…See More
Wednesday
Ross and Leah Seligman's discussion was featured

The Best Deals in Portland This Week: August 18th - August 25th

The Best Deals in Portland This Week: August 18th - August 25th1. 2443 NW THURMAN ST Portland, OR 97210-NORTHWEST DISTRICT-$1.1MClick The Image To See The Full Listing2. 1310 NW NAITO PKWY Portland, OR 97209-PEARL DISTRICT-$849,000…See More
Wednesday

Badge

Loading…

Powell's Books Picks

California

by Edan Lepucki

Sweetness #9

by Stephan Eirik Clark

All about Love

by bell hooks

The wind-up Bird Chronicle

by Haruki Murakami